Up one level Top index page » THE PIRATE GALLEON - A WORK IN PROGRESS REPORT
THE PIRATE GALLEON - A WORK IN PROGRESS REPORT
More than fifty years ago my grandfather build a scale model of the sailing ship "Wappen von Hamburg" in about 1/80 scale, all from wood, brass and other raw materials. At that time you couldn't go into a shop and buy a kit or order ready built detail parts on the Internet, everything had to be made by yourself. The best example are the guns: every single one was turned from a single brass piece on a lathe. Unfortunately, the finished large ship model had no protection at all from dust, as there was non glass case, and when I found it some years ago, decades of dust had assembled everywhere and the ship was in a sad and partly broken state. So I decided to keep the interesting parts like masts, guns, railings and detail parts to use them later on a new ship model I planned to build for my pirates.

Galeone1 Basic cleaning and organising of all the parts. Galeone1

Basic cleaning and organising of all the parts.

Galeone2 How the hell should that curved part ever fit to the ship? Galeone2

How the hell should that curved part ever fit to the ship?

Galeone3 All parts have been cleaned, sandpapered flat and washed in warm water with some dish washing soap. Galeone3

All parts have been cleaned, sandpapered flat and washed in warm water with some dish washing soap.

Galeone4 Now the serious work starts: glueing the main two part rib. As all parts are resin, only a good two-part epoxy glue will be the tool of the trade! That means a lot of hardening time in between, so it's also time for the one or other glass of good scotch ... Galeone4

Now the serious work starts: glueing the main two part rib. As all parts are resin, only a good two-part epoxy glue will be the tool of the trade! That means a lot of hardening time in between, so it's also time for the one or other glass of good scotch ...

Galeone5 After gluing all the (many) ribs together, the sides of the ship were glued and then carefully clamped together. A highly delicate proceedure as resin is very fragile and will break easily. But it worked ... Galeone5

After gluing all the (many) ribs together, the sides of the ship were glued and then carefully clamped together. A highly delicate proceedure as resin is very fragile and will break easily. But it worked ...

Galeone6 After glueing all the rather largish gaps had to be filled and partly resculpted with Milliput. Galeone6

After glueing all the rather largish gaps had to be filled and partly resculpted with Milliput.

Galeone7 Still working with Milliput. Galeone7

Still working with Milliput.

Galeone8 Connections betwen the back part and both the sides had to be filled with heavy amounts of Milliput and and carved afterwards to regain the wood structure. Galeone8

Connections betwen the back part and both the sides had to be filled with heavy amounts of Milliput and and carved afterwards to regain the wood structure.

Galeone9 All ribs were reinforced with another amount of two-part epoxy glue. Galeone9

All ribs were reinforced with another amount of two-part epoxy glue.

Galeone10 You can never have to much glue at the joints of resin ribs! Galeone10

You can never have to much glue at the joints of resin ribs!

Galeone11 Main build finished, now on to the details ... Galeone11

Main build finished, now on to the details ...

Galeone12 Between sides and all the three deck parts filler pieces were glued and fixed with needles during curing. Galeone12

Between sides and all the three deck parts filler pieces were glued and fixed with needles during curing.

Galeone13 Bow details. Galeone13

Bow details.

Galeone14 The rather simple rails were replaced with wooden parts from a shipmodeller's supply. All wooden parts were pinned and epoxied to the resin, as this is a wargames ship and will see a lot of handling on the decks. Galeone14

The rather simple rails were replaced with wooden parts from a shipmodeller's supply. All wooden parts were pinned and epoxied to the resin, as this is a wargames ship and will see a lot of handling on the decks.

Galeone15 First detail parts from my grandfather's ship model; everything was cleaned with my motor tool and a small nylon brush. Looks nice ... Galeone15

First detail parts from my grandfather's ship model; everything was cleaned with my motor tool and a small nylon brush. Looks nice ...

Galeone16 Main ship's body ready. Galeone16

Main ship's body ready.

Galeone17 On to the guns. The resin cast pieces were hard to clean and several of the cannons were miscasts and beyond any repair. So I choose the hard way using the old wooden guns of my grandfathers ship and added wheels cut from round wood strips. Galeone17

On to the guns. The resin cast pieces were hard to clean and several of the cannons were miscasts and beyond any repair. So I choose the hard way using the old wooden guns of my grandfathers ship and added wheels cut from round wood strips.

Galeone18 A lot of work would have to be done to get some decent guns out of these castings. Galeone18

A lot of work would have to be done to get some decent guns out of these castings.

Galeone19 The finished pieces with hand-turned brass cannons. Galeone19

The finished pieces with hand-turned brass cannons.

Galeone20 Two pieces for a wheel, four wheels for a gun, 12 guns on deck ... Galeone20

Two pieces for a wheel, four wheels for a gun, 12 guns on deck ...




Valid HTML 4.01 Strict! valid CSS! Get Firefox!